[plug] suspend to ram

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Jul 12 16:55:15 WST 2006

G'day all,

After much futzing about I finally got s2ram working on my laptop last evening..
have to say.. it rocks!

5 seconds to resume when I hit a key or the power button just makes the machine so much more usable
in a business context when lugging it from meeting to meeting.

I have suspend2 configured and I've got it set up to hibernate at shutdown and then just s2ram, so
if I do something silly like swap batteries or leave it too long my work is all there when I come
back anyway. Great combination.

I had to use a 2.6.18-rc1 kernel with all the libata patches from -mm to make it happen (as I was
having no joy resuming my hard disk using the IDE drivers). Now my cdrom and hard disk are /dev/sd*
and running under libata. I have ATA compiled as modules just for PCMCIA ATA devices and it all
seems to be pretty smooth. Alan Cox has done a great job converting most of the old IDE drivers over
to libata.

I have to say, linux is finally making it...

Brad