[plug] Which File-System

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 19:02:18 WST 2006

No need for any flaming here I don't think, as always people will always
have their favourites, and each FS has its pros and cons.  I don't
really know the in's and out's of each filesystem, but from a few
benchmarks I've seen, as well as word of mouth and other's opinions and
I think you've just got to choose a filesystem that fits the required
purpose.

I've heard XFS is the fastest for large files, reiser (I'm using v4) now
the standard for normal tasks (don't quote me on that) and ext3 is great
for compatibility, stability, recovery etc.

 From personal experience, if your not worried about recovering last
year if something goes wrong (we've all got backups right??!), ReiserFS
is probably best for normal tasks.

Shannon