[plug] Which File-System

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 09:46:10 WST 2006

Just getting back to the original poster, from trawling wikipedia (for an
hour, it gets me every time... Damn you Senectus), I found a few links for
some file system benchmarks that give a fairly good idea of the performance
of the different file systems.

Indeed, Stuart was correct, ReiserFS is woefully slow with mounting,
removing files, and even worse with removing directories:

http://linuxgazette.net/122/piszcz.html
http://fsbench.netnation.com/

ZFS certainly looks interesting!  I especially like the quote:
	"Populating 128-bit file systems would exceed the quantum limits of
earth-based storage. You couldn't fill a 128-bit storage pool without
boiling the oceans."[1]

I didn't quite understand it at the time, I thought it was an extraordinary
statement to compare just how much could be stored in a full ZFS FS (err?!?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym ).  But indeed, further down
the page, it states that the energy required to fill data into a 128-bit
pool is greater than that required to boil all the earth's oceans.

Phenomenal! I thought so, anyway :P

Shannon