[plug] Which File-System

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sat Jul 15 12:30:24 WST 2006

Adam,

> XFS is an awesome filesystem for media. My /home partition is always a
> XFS partition, and it performs the same if not better even with small
> files, and _exteremely_ well with media files. It's also even faster

XFS is a good file system and one would hope it's good with media given
that its original developers are SGI. Irix's XFS and now Linux's XFS
(though apparently very experimental in Linux) also have a feature where
you could guarantee certain I/O throughput which would be necessary for
video streaming and such.

To be honest, I think all the file systems work extremely well and that
I use XFS for historical reasons and any time something has gone wrong,
I've been able to recover it very quickly.

DSL