[plug] problem attempting to connect ppp through cdma modem

David Buddrige dbuddrige at wasp.net.au
Sun Jul 16 17:42:18 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 08:02 +0800, Hendrik Strydom wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 05:14 +0800, David Buddrige wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I am able to communicate with my cdma modem using minicom, but when I
> > attempt to use it via kppp to connect, I get the message:
> >
> > "unable to create modem lock file"
> >
> > does this sound familiar to anyone?
>
> Your user probably has no write access to the lock directory,
> probably /var/lock.  Do not change the ownership of this directory - you
> may well find stuff breaking if you do (also things you can't see like
> security).
> I do not use kde and therefore do not have kppp installed to look at its
> specific settings.
> Does it work when you run kppd as root?  (For testing only - do not work
> as root).

When I run kppp it prompts me for the root password anyway so [I
presume] kppp is running as root.  However, I am strongly thinking of
changing to some other ppp config took [don't know which one though].

> Also FC4 may well have Selinux running by default, so you may have to
> relax a few things in the selinux profile.  If this interferes you
> should see Selinux messages in the system log.

do you know how to reset selinux after editing the config file?    I
can't see any instructions on such things in the man page - or is it
kernel based [needing reboot]?

> Also, if you use kde you should have kinternet as well, which presents
> itself as an internet connection icon in the system tray.  This
> historically had a setting to let non-root users start and stop network
> devices.  I suspect it simply runs the connections via sudo, which is
> often the best way to do some things.
>
> Unfortunately I am not able to supply much more than a rough pointer at
> present - hope this helps to some extent.
>
> BTW, where (in which suburb) do you live?

I'm in Koondoola [immediately north of Mirrabooka, immediately East of
Girrawheen and immediately West of Ballajura] in the northern suburbs.
8-)

ta heaps 4 your help so far. 8-)

David.