[plug] almost there with wireless broadband modem....

David Buddrige dbuddrige at wasp.net.au
Sun Jul 16 21:04:24 WST 2006

Hi all,

I abandoned kppp in favour of wvdial.

I did a soft link from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyACM0 so that wvdialconf
would know what to interrogate.  Then I ran the command:

wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

which automatically interrogated my hardware and set up
the /etc/wvdial.conf

I then edited wvdial.conf to add the telephone number, username and
password of my isp.

now, when I type wvdial, this is what happens:

[root at main etc]# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT#777
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
~[7f]}#@!}!0} }=}%}&}=,#g}!}$}%\}"}&} } } } }#}%B#}%}'}"}(}"}5)~
--> PPP negotiation detected.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Jul 16 20:53:20 2006
--> pid of pppd: 4987
--> Using interface ppp1
--> local  IP address 58.165.25.19
--> remote IP address 172.18.112.131
--> primary   DNS address 61.9.134.49
--> secondary DNS address 61.9.194.49

now I just need to figure out how to set up my network to use that
connection rather than my 56kb modem, because as soon as I disconnect my
56k modem, I can no longer ping anything...

I think I need to redirect my network to ppp1 rather than ppp0.... I'm
looking at that now...

cheers all

David.