[plug] Linux Compatible Phone

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 06:18:36 WST 2006

On 16/07/06, Daniel Pearson <daniel at flashware.net> wrote:

>  Speaking of Blackberry and what not, though - I've always been interested
> in how it works, and what would be required to set it up. Say for example, I
> want to use it and I'm not an "enterprise" per say, so I wouldn't have a
> Blackberry Server.. what are my options in getting it going?
>
>  Does anyone have experience with such?

Well I have supported both environments for the blackberry.
the enterprise environment is definitely better, with the BEServer
giving you much more control  over devices and _many_ more features.

The "Internet" (non enterprise) setup is fine for sending and
receiving e-mails at nearly the same speed as the enterprise.

You buy the device and account from, for example telstra.
Then you setup in one of two ways.
1) you have a desktop at home running win32 or macosx and install the
re director on that machine. mail hits that machine and that machine
"bounces" a copy to your device via RIM.
This method sucks because that PC must be on and running at all times
or your BB is useless.
2) you setup a "bb email"  account with Telstra and then ask your ISP
to forward a copy of all e-mails you receive to this account. This
account will be polled for new e-mails every 15 mins and then that
will be sent to your device.
This sort of sucks because it's not really "real time" and involves
_yet another_ e-mail account on occasion making it hard to
troubleshoot, also if you're a high e-mail traffic user it's possible
for the 5 meg limit on the "bb e-mail" account to be filled and then
you'll lose e-mails destined for your device.

The blackberry handhelds are not what I would call a true PDA. they're
purpose designed devices and functionality is quite limited, yet very
stable.

--
www.modmeup.net
Ubuntu Dapper 6.06