[plug] No printer in Debian Etch

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Jul 19 21:06:33 WST 2006

Innis Cunningham wrote:
> Hi All
> I am not able to get the printer to work in Debian Etch.
> For whatever reason it does not seem to be able to find the drivers
> although they are there.
> There are reports of this being a problem but none of the fixes i
> have read about seem to work.
> So if there is someone here who has their printer working under
> etch i would apreciate any help.

Hi Innis

I'm using sarge (as you know) but if the issue is with the using the
Gnome printer manager tool (or KDE equiv.) how about using the CUPS web
interface at:

http://localhost:631

If that doesn't help either, then more specific info like the printer
model (and usb or parallel) as well as the kernel might be needed to
figure out the issue. Use:

$ uname -a

for the kernel details.

You explained that the drivers are there but not visible to CUPS.
There are some notes here for backporting to sarge that describe
symlinks for the PPDs. Perhaps this might offer a hint on why the
drivers are not visible in etch.
http://lists.backports.org/lurker/message/20060706.082916.e60b39f2.en.html

All the best
Harry