[plug] Fwd: Novell HTML invite for Install-fest - WA : Wed, 2nd Aug @ 5-7pm

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 20 21:29:48 WST 2006

At 10:20 AM 19/07/2006, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
>I'm in too. Novell always have impressed me, this should be excellent..

<distro-war = NO>

FWIW I've just installed SuSE 10.0 and 10.1 and found the installs went
without a hitch, correctly identifying hardware (IBM boxes; an older
desktop and an Intellistation M-Pro) automount USB drive, blah,
blah.   Also did an Ubuntu 6.06 install which also went smoothly but failed
to automount the USB drive for some reason.

Updates on both were painless.   Must admit still to a liking for Debian /
Ubuntu / whatever's apt-get but the SuSE offering comes quite close.   Yes,
I'm impressed too with what Novell / SuSE have done.

One point in question re SuSE is a "distro upgrade".   In Debian-ese this
is as easy as apt-get dist-upgrade but has anyone found out how to take,
for example, SuSE 10.0 to 10.1 in the same vein?

Denis