[plug] Free multiplatform IDE for OO GUI development?

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 00:43:27 WST 2006

On 7/24/06, Posix  Guy <posix at inmail24.com> wrote:

> I'm going nuts with the choices along with the available books and learning
> material about this subject.
>
> I'm trying to avoid java, because of its ram hogging and very slow ways. I'm
> looking for a free IDE that works for both linux and the other world. I
> think a GUI designer can speed up application development. I'd rather write
> code for the individual parts and functions of the program rather than the
> effort of coding the details of how the GUI looks with all the buttons and
> events.
>
> Things I've looked at, but lost or confused if it's worth the learning
> curves:
>
>  * GNAT GPL: Ada
>  * Python (can't find a free drag and drop gui designer or how to
> install/use/go with it)
>  o wxpython
>  * Eclipse?

FWIW, I keep hearing very positive things about Eclipse, but have yet
to have it work nicely yet for me. My experience has generally been
that it is pretty slow, uses quite a lot of memory and crashes
routinely (eg. selecting text, then taking focus from the window and
returning it resulted in thousands of error messages and a nasty
crash). Granted, I was using it at the time on a flakey Apple G5, but
I wasn't impressed.

I imagine all these problems could be traced back to the fact that it
is written in java :P

A friend does use Eclipse for quite a bit of Python work, though, and
he says its the best thing ever, so perhaps it was just a bad
experience. The support for OO languages other than java is supposed
to be quite good, from what I've heard.

I don't generally use an IDE (just vim) so I can't really recommend
anything else. Hope that helped.

-Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au