[plug] Citrix + MedicalDirector + Ferret on Linux

Kai Jones Kaij at kamsc.org.au
Mon Jul 31 10:23:32 WST 2006

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a great weekend, I was actually in Perth over the
weekend, freezing my arse off but enjoying the company and time with
friends and family ! :)

Anyway, back to the point, my boss just asked me to get some quotes for
two new servers. We are a not for profit organisation and a registered
Training Oganisation so we get fairly good discounts on software, like
under $200 for Windows 2003 Server...but me not being a Windows fan I
thought I'd ask here if anyone knows of a Linux equivalent for Citrix +
MedicalDirector + Ferret with ability to act as a file server.

File server is easy with Samba, the rest of that equation I've never
set-up before and not sure how difficult it may be to implement over a
geographically wide area with clinics in Broome, Derby, Halls Creek,
Kununurra and a heap of smaller communities spread through the Kimberley
and all fed via either ADSL or two way sat.

We use remote printing services, eg one of our clinics is at Balgo
(~90k's West of the NT border, ~800k's south of Kununurrra), they
connect to their own terminal server which then VPN's via two way
satellite back to Broome's Ferret server, their printer is out there but
of course their session happens in Broome so the server has to be able
to send print requests from Balgo -> Broome back to Balgo... we also use
label printers in our pharmacy rooms, and as I understand it label
printers and linux sometimes don't get along ?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Kai - VK6KSJ
Senior computer and network surgeon

Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services Council
PO Box 1377
Broome, WA, 6725
(08) 91 936 043 - Phone
(08) 91 922 500 - Fax