[plug] shared /home for dual-booting two distros

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Jun 1 03:44:52 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 14:02 +0800, Jason Posavec wrote:
> The system I use may be of use to you, Gavin. I have a drive that is
> accessable by both Linux and Windows. When I boot into Windows, it
> mounts as my "My Documents" folder, when I boot into Linux, it's a
> symbolic link from my /home directory.

That scenario may help son's setup where he wants to dual-boot XP and
Linux.  I suggested he create a separate /home partition, but never
imagined that XP could have 'My Documents' on a separate partition that
he could share alternately with XP.  It would have to formatted vfat, of
course.  Can you point me to some info on how that is done in XP - or is
it fairly obvious when you're in front of XP?

> All my files, data, songs, videos, etc are in this directory. My /home
> directory more or less just contains my settings. Just mount sdc with
> your 2nd distro as - say - /gavinII and put a symbolic link to it in
> your home directory. Oh, and chown it to gavin:gavin as well, of course.
>
> Hope this helps.

Certainly worth playing around with.  Thanks for the further ideas.

Gavin.