[plug] Gnome Beautification Project

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 09:35:09 WST 2006

Hi everyone,

The last thing I want here is a KDE vs Gnome war, but just wanted some
people's opinions on how to get Gnome looking a little nicer.  I've always
been a KDE user, and use fluxbox on lower spec hardware.  Out of the box,
it's (KDE) nothing special, but with a bit of a poke and prod, new icons,
different window decoration and a theme it comes to life and looks like a
nice modern XP Killer.

Now, my proper journey into full time use of Gnome has begun on my laptop
(Ubuntu 6.06 w/o KDE).  Some things about it I like, the file manager is
fantastic, and gnome seems to have a lot more little features tied into the
UI a bit like MacOSX or something.

Can anyone recommend any themes, websites or customisations to enrich the
Gnome experience even further?

Now, you probably think I'm a superficial user who spends all his time
making his GUI look exactly the way he wants it and likens its
advantages/disadvantages to other superior/inferior OS's and Window
Managers.  I'm not, but if I'm using a computer full time I like to get the
most out of the experience.  In the end, I spend the bulk of my time working
inside a terminal anyway, but I still like to like the look of it.

Any suggestions?

Me.