[plug] wireless networking

Craig Dyke grail at westnet.com.au
Fri Jun 9 22:12:55 WST 2006

Here's a newbie question about wireless networking ...

How do go about getting my wireless card (on my laptop [integrated])
associated with ieee80211?

I seem to be able to get almost every flippin setting attached to the
card but as it is not associated
with anything I can't use those protocols.
Am I on the right track here?

I ask as when I do:   iwlist eth2 scan

I bring up the details of both my own network and that of my neighbour.
I thought this might have meant the association thing is not required as
I can see the router?

When I look on the web I see others showing the following:

eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"Whatever"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:11:95:18:18:30
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:DEAD-BEEF-00   Security mode:open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=98/100  Signal level=-53 dBm  Noise level=-81 dBm

But I always get:

eth2      _unassociated_  ESSID:"Whatever"
          Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:DEAD-BEEF-0 Security Mode:restricted
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Suggestions appreciated??

Craig