[plug] wireless networking

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jun 10 19:01:20 WST 2006

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>> I'm seriously wrapped with network-manager and nm-applet in gnome on the
>> latest ubuntu.. I've not been _anywhere_ yet on any access points with any
>> type of encryption I could not connect to the 1st time, and then it just
>> auto-reconnects when I next drop in..
>
> I am also a fan.  Incidentally, if you need to connect to a VPN or
> otherwise do wacky configuration on a per-network basis, you might want
> to take a look at dbus-hooks.

Oh nice work.. I like that.. Now I have to come up with some twisted use for it ;)

I'm also a *huge* fan of openvpn now.. I have all my remote offices, linux router at my parents
place and laptops on an openvpn network. Now I can check my internal webserver for mrtg graphs to
monitor my servers from wherever I am on the planet.. forgot a file in the office, just scp it..
want to send the latest photos to mum, just upload them to the server at home.. talk to dad over a
secure link? sip call the asterix server in australia.. all over the secured link..

And of course all these machines are all behind nat routers/modems with no holes in the firewall
except my main vpn router.. so I have far less firewall/router hassles to deal with.. it's lovely
and finally so easy to configure..

Regards,
Brad
(Heh, my laptop has just given me a low battery warning.. "you have 55 minutes of battery power
remaining (15% of the total capacity)".. love it.. On the extended battery it warns me at something
like 1:40 remaining..