[plug] installing linux cont.

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Jun 12 17:41:20 WST 2006

Brad Campbell wrote:

> As your pony tail dude discovered the hard way, it's always good to make
> *complete* backups prior to doing any mind bending stuff with partitions..
> and it always allows time for a nice meal and a coffee :) (my last effort
> took 90 mins to zero the partitions and about another 60 do perform the
> backup)

Very sensible advice, that.  In fact, doing complete backups every now
and again even when you're _not_ going to do futz around with the system
is useful.

> I've never had to use a backup yet, but I always create them.. for sure the
> day I do something without a safety net it will fail in bad ways..

I remember the story you posted to the list a few years ago about your
laptop, dodgy hard drive and failed backups.  Can't have been fun for
you at the time but it's made me very careful about making sure I always
have backups of my own machines!

Cameron