[plug] wanted: 56k modem

WolfBite wolfbite_aus at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 06:48:50 WST 2006

Think I've got an old meastro around (ext) you can have for free.

  Might also have couple of OLD (non windows) internal modems
  But I've just move and will need to check if still got them.

  will check when home tonight and let you know(incase if you dont get a better offer. :)

Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:
  Forgive me if this should be an off-topic posting, I wasn't sure.

Anyone got a good 56k external modem just gathering dust after your
upgrade to DSL? Want to part with it for a small gratuity? Please
contact me off list at sales(at)ecosolutions.com.au. I can't find any
retailers selling cheap 56k _external_ modems these days, it's all
either DSL or internal (PCI) 56k modems.

Reason: As part of converting my son across to Linux I want him to get
online easily on his dialup account. The spare external modem I had
aside for him turned out not to work with Linux, would you believe? The
modem works for him in XP and I successfully tested my Netcomm modem on
his PC when it was running Linux. So, it is definitely a fault with
that other modem I had. Seems that Linux treats it like a PCI modem in
that it knows it is there but can't initialise it properly. Go
figure :-(

Gavin.

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au