[plug] distro differences - SuSE scores others fail

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Tue Jun 13 11:26:49 WST 2006

Michael Holland wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, John Knight wrote:
>

>> Afraid I just get lost with Ubuntu/Kubuntu (I'm used to logging in
>>as root when I need to, can't figure out all the sudo stuff). :(
>

> No problem! Just "sudo bash" and set a root password so you can su.
> I never bother with sudo.
>   And ubuntu uses the familiar debian package management.

If you want a deb based distro which "just works, out of the box",
installs _very_ easily and detects pretty much any hardware, have a look
at Xandros.  I still haven't found any hardware that it doesn't detect
and install correctly.  (That doesn't mean that there isn't some out
there.)  The free download version is identical to the pay for version
except for the prorietary drivers and apps (e.g. Staroffice8).

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!