[plug] wanted: 56k modem

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jun 14 16:25:10 WST 2006

On 14 Jun 2006 at 11:58, Kai Jones wrote:

8<--------------- snip ---------------->8

> Michael, in regard to your comments about PC's not handling the load,
from
> my understanding it's not about load but that external modems are built
> for one purpose and internal's don't have the same in-built dedicated
> functionality therefor don't usually perform as well.

One big difference between internal and external :

Internal modems get most of their functionality by using software
emulation to carry out the functions which are normally carried out by
hardware which is built  into an external modem.

Internal modems consume system resources, system power - and they often
occupy a slot on the motherboard which may be put to better use.

External modems are totally independent of system resources and power
supply - plug them in - switch them on - learn the AT command set  - get
system to talk to the modem and vice versa - it's just so simple.

Oh and don't forget to tell your system which serial port the modem is
on.

Regards Arie