[plug] Mobile phone scam - Beware

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 22:46:18 WST 2006

On 6/14/06, Michael Holland <myk at myk.id.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Arie Hol wrote:
>
> > Sorry about posting to the main list but this message should go to as
> > many people as possible :
>
> Oh no! How many times have I seen some well-intentioned idiocy start with
> those words. I have a mailbox full of "please forward this" scam warnings,
> generous offers from Bill gates, and requests for business cards for
> little boys dying of cancer.
>   If you are going to forward a chain-letter, please research it a little.
> And then still don't send it to plug.

I agree. Sorry, but the main plug list ISN'T the place for these. If
you can prove that it is real, then maybe post a link to a blog entry,
giving more details.
My first stop for hoax research is http://www.hoax-slayer.com/

> This one is well on the way to urban-legend status. It seems to be
> confusing a couple of actual scams.

It appears to be along the same sort of lines as
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/premium-phone-rate-hoax.html

And some common sense.... If you missed a call, and don't know the
number, if it's important, they'll ring back ;-) I don't know many ppl
that will just call a random number, cause they have a missed call
from it, especially not a 'land line' number. What are you going to
do, ask who called you? ;-)

Tim

--
Linux Counter user #273956