[plug] Mobile phone scam - Beware

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jun 14 22:50:35 WST 2006

Timothy White wrote:

> >> I don't know if this is true or not, but just in case it is.
> >
> >Yep its true all right. Relies on peoples curiosity to see who called them.
>
> Got proof? Don't make a claim like this, without proof; these hoaxes
> rely on claims that it's true, without supporting evidence.

The calls from those numbers are real and have been going on for a while
now.  I got one about 6 months ago.  I didn't call back, and I would
surprised if it did cost more than a normal STD call[1] - my
understanding was the 'premium' numbers like the message refers to have
to have a special area code and whatnot.  I have no evidence to support
_that_ claim, though.

Cameron

[1] Unfortuante acronym or what?