[plug] Mobile phone scam - Beware

hooker at iinet.net.au hooker at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 15 06:29:15 WST 2006

Quoting Arie Hol <arie99 at ozemail.com.au>:
> Sorry about posting to the main list but this message should go to as
> many people as possible :
>
> I don't know if this is true or not, but just in case it is.

[ content chopped ]

OK, first, premium service numbers are 10 digits starting with 19 (although the
0500 range isn't cheap either). Second, the only ways that a normal geographic
number can result in huge costs are:

* STD rates and a long call
* call forward to a premium service number

Third, the carrier which owns the PS number will bill you outside your normal
phone bill (assuming that it's not your normal carrier that is). So if it's true
then you'll eventually get a separate large bill clearly telling you which
carrier is responsible and then you complain to them, escalating to the TIO is
that doesn't work.

Also, I believe (but should check) that 190[02] and the like have to tell you
what the cost is if it goes above some charging threshold which may be about 50c
per minute.

If this really is happening, then it strikes me as fraud and should be fixable,
but with effort.

Hook