[plug] lightning, Re: modem

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Thu Jun 15 14:59:55 WST 2006

>The power was off for over an hour. When I went through to power
>things up again, I found that the VCR was dead, as well as a modem and
>network card in one of the PCs that was on. Everything else was
>unaffected.

Why is the VCR always on the list of casualties?

You are the second person to mention one that died and back in 2002/2003
I had a similar experience.

It was not plugged in to anything except a powerboard with basic surge
protection and devices either side, sure enough the board, the
DVD/TV/AMP are all undamaged, but the VCR takes a hit?  How come?

Are they just weaker than other Hi-Fi gear in some way.

Wasn't a fuse or anything else minor either:  the mainboard was scorched
beyond (economical) repair!