[plug] installing linux cont.

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Fri Jun 16 09:15:54 WST 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Brad Campbell wrote:

> For doing full image backups of windows machines, defrag and winhex make
> a great combination. Winhex allows you to zero all free space, slack
> space and best of all, unused space in the MFT (which can be quite
> significant) allowing gzip to really crunch the drive image down nicely.
> She has a 60G drive that had about 18G used.. and the total drive image
> size came to 7.9G.

Thanks for that. I downloaded, installed and ran winhex, and found the
feature, only to find it was a cripple-ware version. I just wish they'd tell
you up-front that its a demo version.
  So now i'm installing cygwin, so I can
$ cat /dev/zero > big-file-to-fill-disk

Will this be good enough for a clean XP install? I want to save an image
once all the win-update patches are applied, and firefox et al installed.

BTW, you didn't need to use gparted before Ubuntu. It has its own
NTFS-resizer built in to the installer. Or don't you trust that?

cheers, Mike.