[plug] Too stupid to build VPN bridge ...

Ryan King ryank at globaldial.com
Fri Jun 16 12:10:34 WST 2006

Bernd Felsche wrote:
> I've obviously grown too stupid to do this unaided:
>
> Two networks; 192.168.3.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 need to be connected
> so that clients in both can see each other without having to set
> routes in every client. So I worked out that I needed a bridge.
>
> I've set up a bridge using OpenVPN, and the two ends of the bridge
> can talk to each other, but clients on the respective networks still
> can't unless there's a route set in the client. The end points of
> the bridge are the default gateway for the network (at one end) or
> have the route set explicitly at the default gateway to point to the
> local end of the bridge (at the other).
>
> It's basically set as per the HOWTO; bar the addresses.
>
> IP forwarding is set. I've checked. Many times.
>
> Other than early retirement, what else can I do?

If I understand correctly, you are saying your bridge is working, but a
computer in 192.168.3.0/24 cannot talk to a computer in 192.168.2.0/24.
 What default gateway are you using on the computers in each of the
networks?

Bridges are supposed to make the link between networks invisible.  So,
unless the computer has a route to the other network or a default
gateway set to a router that can talk to both networks, you're not going
to have much luck.

In my experience, setting up an openvpn connection between two
_different_ networks (which is how you have explained your setup) is
best done via a routed setup.

If I've misunderstood your email, please correct me or provide more
information on your setup (routes, default gateways assigned, etc).

Ryan King