[plug] Errors in database or File system

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sun Jun 18 18:17:02 WST 2006

(Please start a new thread by sending a new message to the list, rather
than by replying to another message and changing it's title, which
messes up the way messages are sorted.)

Sunday, 18 June 2006 15:09, david wrote:
> Would you Like To Install Errorsare to check your computer for free?

As others have pointed out, this is an attempted fraud. Linux does not
have a "registry" like Microsoft Windows does.

I reported the fraud operation to Shaw/Bigpipe, the company hosting the
Errorsafe web site, but unsurprisingly, they have failed to acknowledge
the report or take any action for over two months. (Report attached for
anyone curious.)

If you want to prevent more of these popups from appearing, there are a
couple of things you might want to consider:

1. If you use Mozilla Firefox as your web browser, installing Adblock
from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/

2. Install the Privoxy web filtering proxy. It is easy to install: just
run "aptitude install privoxy" as root, but a bit trickier to configure
(you need to set your web browser to use the proxy, and you may need to
tweak some of the filters).

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/