[plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Jun 19 14:45:25 WST 2006

Mark J Gaynor wrote:

> Is this the actual reason or is it what they  want you to think, because it
> is outside the core development model.

I've read the flamewars that crop up when the change was suggested on
mailing lists and in bug reports.

> A good place to come from is what people want, not what you think they
> want and that is more often the problem.

Right.  Unfortunately, users often don't know what they want any better
than programmers.  Both groups have a tendency to think in terms of
features rather than what they want to achieve with the software.  Free
software _should_ give users and programmers a better opportunity to
communicate about these kinds of things, but it doesn't help when people
(on all sides) are overly confrontational.

Cameron