[plug] Samba desktop.ini

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 21:42:45 WST 2006

On 6/19/06, Daniel Pearson <daniel at flashware.net> wrote:

>  Are they all in the global parms?

Yep, I'm fairly sure all the ones I posted, are in [global]

>  Also, is there a way to add/modify/delete users through Windows, rather
> than having to do it via the machine?

Ah, yer... As long as you like NT 4 tools, well at least tools that
appear to come from NT4 ;-)

>  I can see that the commands are in the .conf to do so.. but can't work out
> how to actually interface to that!

$ testparm -sv|grep add
        addprinter command =
        show add printer wizard = Yes
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u -G users
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c Machine
-d /dev/null  -s  /bin/false %u
        add share command =

Not sure about the add share, and addprinter stuff, but the user and
group stuff works. And password changing via windows also works (more
options needed, but the default might work).

For the add/delete/modify user/group stuff, there is some Windows NT 4
style tool, which I don't have access to atm (the only machine I know
that has it, is turned off atm, and I have to login locally as
administrator to get it).
It involves some 'fun'. Firstly, you need to ensure there are no open
smb connections to the server, cause if you have any, then that's the
user perms it'll try and use, and you need to use a user with 'root'
perms I think. So I login as admin on the local box, without any
network connections. Then I open a network share, and login with the
user I want to use, it's been a long time since I did this, so I can't
remember if I need to use root, or my administrator user. I can then
open the application, select the domain I want to work on, and I get
all the users, and groups! I can then edit it!

A quick google gives me this,
<http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid39_gci1159865,00.html>
, which should get you started!

Tim