[plug] DVD movie

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Tue Jun 20 09:04:30 WST 2006

Timothy White wrote:

> Well, I must say, it all depends on WHAT you want to do. I have
> mastered a number of DVD's  under linux, and being a CLI warrior,
> quickly dismissed the GUI's as being too difficult.

Yes, I found it quite easy to make a menu-less DVD using mencoder and
dvdauthor under linux. Unfortunately, I later found that a number of
standalone DVD players did not like it.

> mplayer+mencoder to put the movie files in the correct format for
> burning to DVD (MPEG 2 with AC3 audio I think it is. Make sure you use
> AC3, and not the MPEG Audio stuff, cause AC3 is supported by more DVD
> players).

I'll make a note of that, thanks. I thought all DVD players were
supposed to play MP2 audio (mpeg 1, layer 2 audio), as seen on digital TV.

I might try again some time, but its so much easier just to use a DVD
player that supports mpeg4 (aka DivX).