[plug] USB drive not seen by Debian Sarge

Philippe Margot ozmargot at nerdshack.com
Thu Jun 22 09:50:51 WST 2006

Are you looking for udev 'add-icon-on-desktop' effect with a too old
kernel ?

This is what happened to me a couple of weeks ago, when I spent hours
trying everything to eventually realize that the version of udev required
a kernel 2.6.12.xxx or older. Mine was only a 2.6.11xxx
In case you still have devfs on your Sarge box, you can have a look at
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/udevinstall.htm
If udev is what you are looking for (and not fstab-mount...) you should
use 'udevinfo' to see what is (or not) happening. In my case I had the
kernel messages but no output for udev. More info on how to use this tool
and general info on udev at
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html (kind of udev Bible ...)