[plug] Windows 2000 question - expanding partition

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Jun 22 23:06:39 WST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 22:52 +0800, Philippe Margot wrote:
> Here is how I would do it :
> - Shrink hda3 or hda4 or move them to a another disk if available. To
> shrink you can use for example a gparted live CD
> ( http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php ).
> - Once you will have some free space, create a new partition under Windows.
> - Move everything that you can from hda1 to the new partition, like
> software (uh reinstall...) or your documents to leave hda1 just for the OS.

Maybe I'm not getting my point across [include smiley for not being
offensive here].

The fdisk output is as below, and I can delete hda2 and with a bit of
effort hda3 - no problems! This will leave free space. How do I get W2K
(on hda1) to expand into the open space?

> The output from fdisk is:
>
> > Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> >
> >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hda1   *           1         366     2939863+   b  W95 FAT32
> > /dev/hda2             367         494     1028160   82  Linux swap /
> > Solaris
> > /dev/hda3             495        1769    10241437+  83  Linux
> > /dev/hda4            1770        9729    63938700    5  Extended
>
> Now I can quite easily move the swap partition elsewhere, as well as the
> hda3 partition, but how do I get the original W2K partition expanded. I
> really rather not go through all the fun and games of reinstalling the
> stuff I need to do my work on.

I have GBs and GBs of free space elsewhere - I need to get the W2K C:\
drive larger - I have moved everything off of it that I can - no swap,
no software, except that that absolutely insists it has to be on C:\.