[plug] Tools for Digital Cameras

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 10:29:26 WST 2006

On 6/24/06, laurie anderson <lan89295 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> What tools does one need so as to capture, edit, print digital photograph's.
> I assume Gimp, Gphoto naturally but what else is required.

I use gqview to browse/view photos. It has a nice 'little used'
feature called sets, which I use when I'm collecting a set of photo's
for printing (it just organises your photo's into the same 'virtual
folder' and then I copy them to a temp place for uploading to the
printers). It can print thumbnail pages, as well as full size
prints... (You can basically say what size print you want, and it'll
organise them on the page best.)

Gthumb is also pretty good. It reminds me of some windows software my
Dad uses. Even has simple editing tools, but I prefer gqview for my
work.
I also use Gimp for touch up work.

I don't normally use Gphoto, cause I just pop the memory card into the
slot in my computer, and move the photos to where I want them. I
personally find using the filesystem as exactly that, much better than
say the iphoto system of using a database file, and some strange
layout of photos, that makes it hard to recover your photos when the
filesystem gets corrupt (as my friend recently found out). So what
ever tool you choose to use, I recommend still organising the photo's
with the file system.

As for printing, I get all my printing done at a nice little(big)
company in Qld, which does upto 10x15"s and quite cheaply as well!

So it's really upto you what you use, but I hope that gives you an
idea, of what I use. Oh, and if anyone knows of a gqview/gthumb
alternative for OS X, PLEASE let me know!

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956