[plug] Tools for Digital Cameras

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Jun 24 11:27:24 WST 2006

Timothy White wrote:

> Gthumb is also pretty good. It reminds me of some windows software my
> Dad uses. Even has simple editing tools, but I prefer gqview for my
> work.

I use gthumb, it works very well.  Add in a rotation tool and it'd do
99% of the editing that I ever need.  Gqview is also quite nice, but
more minimalist and sometimes feels "clumsier" and unresponsive when
flicking through photos on a slow computer.

There's also f-spot which is quite popular; it's similar to iPhoto on
the Mac or Google's Picasa on Windows.  It has some nice features
(tagging photos) but makes me feel a little claustrophobic - you can't
browse photos by subdirectories on disc like you normally would, only by
date and by tag.  Before you use it you need to import your photos into
its database, which is a little painful.  I'm hoping it'll be more
awesome in future as these kinds of problems are fixed.

Cameron