[plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 08:50:20 WST 2006

> >> I wanted to import some CSV text data into a spreadsheet with OOo,
> >> a simple task you may think. Well,I could not find anything that
> >> would allow me to do this simple task.
> >
> >File->Open, choose Text CSV (*.csv;*.txt) from the File type dropdown
> >box. Did that not work?
>
> That is fine for opening a spreadsheet, I wanted to import the data into
> an existing document. MERGE may be a better term.

May I PLEASE just kill this?

I went and used Excel on a Windoz computer. The closest I could find
to a 'merge' or 'import' was Data->Get External Data -> Import Text
File. After some playing around, I got it to 'merge' a CSV file with
the current sheet, although it was strange, because it still treated
it as a data source, even after it was in the sheet.

I have now attempted to do the same in OO... The closest I found
(which Excel doesn't have) is "Insert Sheet From File". This worked
fine for me!
I also found "Link to External Data" which worked, for importing
tables from a HTML file, but didn't seem to work for CSV files (it
popped up the dialog for setting the CSV settings, but then probably
cause it's looking for named tables/ranges, it didn't show any
available tables to import).

So yes, Excel can import CSV directly into the current worksheet,
although it's a really strange way of doing it. OO can import CSV
directly into the current workbook, as a new sheet, which IMHO, is the
better way of doing it.

Now that I have present the 2 methods, would you care to tell us what
your method is?

Thanks

Tim
--