[plug] evolutions sucks - long live evolution

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 27 22:20:26 WST 2006

It has its moments! killev is still there - try a locate:

bunyip ~ # locate killev
/usr/libexec/evolution/2.6/killev
bunyip ~ #

--shutdown doesnt work well in my experience. Evo is dependent on an
insane number of packages and libraries, often version critical.  I used
to build it from source on Mandrake in the early days - not for the
faint hearted.  On gentoo, its runs very nicely - I think because of the
way you build the thing ensures you dont run into the problems that
binary distros like debian and windows do.  If it gets unreliable, but
others say its stable - odds are you have a stray lib thats snuck in
somewhere.

I am running version 2.6.1 and its very stable - up for days/weeks on a
laptop that is suspending/resuming across multiple networks and accounts
- certainly gives it a hammering!

BillK