[plug] Small Gentoo Installation

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:31:58 WST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to get a basic Gentoo installation down nice and small so I
can tar it up and use it for VPSs. I know with Debian I can get an
install of 300MB or so out of the box; Slackware seems to be about
~180MB, but the smallest I've been able to get gentoo is 1040MB which
seems fairly large. I'm a Debian person - the concept of waiting hours
to upgrade or install is new to me - so I've most likely missed
something obvious here :)

All I'm looking for in software is whatever is required to make the
system boot, plus dhcpcd, filesystem tools and vim. As far as I know
this is all I've installed. The system I've made in a chroot from
stage3 and portage tarballs; I've run
/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh and emerge -e system. I have
confirmed the system will boot in a VPS.

I've cleaned out /usr/portage/distfiles, /tmp and /var/tmp which
dropped the size down to what it is now from about 1.4GB.

Heres the cd /; du -sh * output:
6.6M    bin
5.2M    boot
121K    dev