[plug] Small Gentoo Installation

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 29 12:28:56 WST 2006

There are numerous guides for gentoo to do this on the net, some get
down to small 50Mb setups for USB keys and the like - a quick search
should discover them.

In the meantime,

rm -rfv /var/tmp/portage/* /usr/portage/distfiles
unmerge then delete the kernel build (after keeping the .config)
monolithic kernel (dont use genkernel!)

Innnovative things:
put the whole package management system on an NFS share so it is stored
elsewhere, or Put the packagemanagement system in a loopback mounted
file, kept elsewhere until needed.
Set the filesystem to use atime (I think).  Use it for a month and
delete evrything that hasnt been touched.  Run it for another month,
putting back what you overdid the first time!  Apparently you can really
get down small this way!

BillK