[plug] Small Gentoo Installation

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 29 15:57:56 WST 2006

Thought of a couple more things:

Use flags:
rattus ~ # euse -i minimal doc
global use flags (searching: minimal doc)
[-    ] minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example,
plugins, fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)
[+ C  ] doc - Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)

local use flags (searching: minimal doc)

Theses are two off the top of the mind that have been pointed out when
bloat is needing to be rained in.

Also, build xorg with only the driver/modules you need (is 7.1 any
better than the 6.8 series here?) - may be covered by the minimal use
flag

glibc by default installs a lot of locale stuff that can be done away
with - gentoo has some flags to restrict it to one (english?) only
build.  Or are you already using busybox and dietlibc etc?

Uninstall the man pages package and rm -rfv /usr/share/docs

Try 'du /|sort -rn|less' to see what the biggest space wasters are.

BillK

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 13:19 +0800, Patrick Coleman wrote:
> Brilliant, thanks everyone. I'd already cleaned out
> /usr/portage/distfiles and /var/tmp, so no luck there. I was also
> careful to not install the kernel in the first place.
>
> I'd already scanned those USB key howtos, but I'll have a closer look.
> VM software is Xen, btw.
>
> -Patrick
Home!