[plug] Getting data off a damaged DVD

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri Jun 30 23:14:48 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 12:18 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Andrew Furey wrote:
> > On 6/30/06, Tomasz Grzegurzko <tomasz89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> You can try putting it in the freezer for a while, then when it's
> >> still cold (but not wet) try reading it again. Works for me
> >> (sometimes) to recover hard to reach data =)
> >
> > Isn't that mainly for hard drives, due to overheating mechanical
> > components? (In saying that, I've never [succesfully] done it for
> > either...).
> >
> > Senectus, look into dd_rescue... works wonders for me.
>
> I'm using dd_rescue supplemented by dd_rhelp right now for exactly this purpose (it's been running
> for about 28 hours so far)
>
> It's about as good as you are going to get.
>
> Brad

Dang! Don't you hate that?  I can't find the app you might want to
try :-(  That is, I have been busy configuring my new 'bells & whistles'
install of OpenSuSE 10.1 and saw just such a DVD recovery tool in the
menu.  I didn't have time to explore it much, but it looked good.  I'll
keep looking but the dang thing has disappeared after a yast upgrade and
extras install.  Now that has got to be the closest thing to coitus
interuptus that you'll get on a PC ;-)  I'll let you know if I find the
name of it.

Gavin