[plug] wiring a house

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Thu Mar 2 20:45:33 WST 2006

Hi all,

We're moving house soon and there are a couple of things I want to do before we move in. First, change the aircon ducts and the filters! As many of you know I'm still waiting on the bone marrow transplant (but stabilised...kinda...) and having all sorts of bugs in an evaporative aircon system and its ducting is a 'bad thing' for me. So, if anyone here knows people that can do this at a reasonable price (we really would prefer not to do it ourselves, which means I try and hand things up to my wife in the attic while she does it) in about 5 weeks time please let us know!

The second thing is why I'm asking here. Wireless transfers from our FC3 file and backup server are very slow to my wife's office. For this reason, and because I'd like to make a MythTV (or failing that a windows) entertainment box for radio/digital tv/mp3s/etc in the lounge room, I want to wire up the house. One ethernet jack in each of the three bedrooms, two plus a phone in the lounge room, and one ethernet in the kitchen. A coax in the main bedroom would be nice, too. Somehow given my reliance on crutches and motorised movement aids, as well as having a not so functional immune system, I don't see myself coming off very well trying to do this myself up in the attic. My wife, however, is keen to give it a go. So I have two questions: 1) who would you recommend to do this work and about how much would I be looking at spending? and 2) if I go with my wife's DIY spirit and try and do this ourselves, are there any good guides to doing this in the double brick and tile sorts of homes built in Perth in the late 70's?

Cheers,

Ari