[plug] Linux and Samba Passwords

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 22:59:18 WST 2006

On 3/2/06, Chris Watt <something.rotten at gmail.com> wrote:
> So doesn anyone know any links they could point me to that explains
> that?  I don't really know how to sctipt that kinda thing.

I was going to suggest a wrapper script around /usr/bin/passwd, but in
looking how to do that I found this:
http://www.ale.org/archive/ale/ale-2000-11/msg00162.html

Specifically:
| > I am looking for a pasword script that when a windoze user changes his
| > password it will also change the password in Linux for the password and
| > samba files for that user.
|
| I assume the user in question is going to be running this as a shell
| command.  In which case, he should just use smbpasswd (you can always rename
| /usr/bin/passwd and replace it with a symlink to smbpasswd if you have to),
| and then enable password synchronization in /etc/smb.conf.

This sounds like it will do what you want - follow the symlink
suggestion above and users will be able to run 'passwd' from a linux
shell and it will change both their smb and linux passwords. Tim
suggested a similar thing on the other thread, but this would be
completely transparent to users - it would look like changing a linux
password to them.

-Patrick
--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au