[plug] library version conflicts

tim tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Fri Mar 3 10:27:39 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 07:47 +0800, Peter F Bradshaw wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, tim wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As a non programmer I need some advice about installing conflicting
> > versions of some libraries.  The box in question has red hat enterprise
> > linux which will soon have a support subscription so I don't want to
> > change any of the red hat supplied libraries.  The problem comes where I
> > am compiling an app which needs later versions of two of the supplied
> > libraries.
> >
> > I have installed them to /usr/local/<libname>/  What is the best way to
> > ensure that the app I am compiling uses the new version of the lib both
> > at compile time and run time?
>
> You do not say what the "build system" for the app is. I'm going to
> assume it is autoconf - i.e. you run ./configure ... in the app's
> base build dir. In that case you will need to supply the location of the
> dependant lib to configure. This will probably be done by something like
> How this is done specifically for you app is setup by the person that
> wrote the autoconf scripts.  See that package install documentation and
> try ./configure --help for information specific to your app.

Yes, the standard ./configure make make install is used for the app.
./configure --help does indeed provide interesting reading.

> If you want only the app to use the new libs at run time then the
> easiest way is to run it from a shell script which sets up the env.
> specifically for the app. The script may look something like:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/<libname>/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/local/<app>/bin/<app> ....
>
> Then put this script in you PATH or run it explicitly either from
> the command line or from some GUI session object (like a menu or
> launcher).

The app in question is a cgi app which I need to create a 'wrapper
script' for anyway to set some other env variables so this is fine.

> As you can see the exact answer to you questions depend on the way
> your app has been setup by the package authors. So you need to refer
> to this package's documentation.

Thanks Peter.
--
Mapforge Geospatial