[plug] wiring a house

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Mar 3 11:33:54 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: pospim at gmail.com
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] wiring a house
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:02:02 +0800

>On 3/2/06, Ari Finander  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
>> big snip<
>
>My wife, however, is keen to give it a go. So I have two questions:
>1)
>who would you recommend to do this work and about how much would I be
>looking at spending?and 2) if I go with my wife's DIY spirit and try
>and do this ourselves, are there any good guides to doing this in the
>double brick and tile sorts of homes built in Perth in the late 70's?
>
>For the electrical work you will need a licenced electrician with a
>contractors licence.
>If the Office of Energy find out that there has been some unlicensed
>work done on your premises they start asking nasty question and most
>likely throw the book at that person who did the job.
>Similarly, for the phone outlets you will need someone with an Austel
>licence. A licenced electrician would usually have that ticket.
>When it comes to networking between your own machines you can do what
>you want. AFAIK, nobody have stretched his hand for any protection
>money in that general direction as yet.

The comms information, I can vouch for - I spoke to someone, at the
Australian Communications Authority (IIRC) and basically ANYTHING
after the telco's socket in the wall is "anything goes" - wires on
the floor - attached to ceiling - probably bunged back into the wall
and then led around the house as well. I did this check bbecause of a
house inspection from a dragon lady who was convinced that my CAT 5
was a "fire hazard"

Cheers
RM