[plug] [Fwd: Leon update]

Martin marty at supine.com
Wed Mar 8 10:31:55 WST 2006

$quoted_author = "simon" ;

> Does anyone semi-medical-aware understand the implications of Leon reacting to
> painful stimuli?
>
> To me it sounds like there is a high probability that the effects of his neck
> injury are only temporary - ie once the swelling reduces he will regain motor
> control etc. Is this a valid assumption?

there are various feedback loops in the nervous system that work at
different levels. pain response (FWIU, IANAD) requires the brain stem to be
involved and hence is a test of consciousness.

ie.
a knuckle rub on the sternum is used to try and see if someone can be
roused.

FWIW, HTH etc.etc.
marty

--
"It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember
if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth." - George Burns