[plug] phishing scam

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed Mar 8 10:57:33 WST 2006

Senectus . wrote:

>On 3/8/06, Kev <kdownes at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>

>>>It has a feature to send out an e-mail to everyone in your outlook
>>>address book asking them to confirm or deny that address...
>>>The user has obviously forgotten that the plug address is in their address book.
>>>

>>Even on the one machine I own with Windoze installed, Lookout isn't
>>installed.  Besides that machine hasn't been booted for about a month now.
>>

>I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.. the user that I'm talking
>about is "djjackson at dpi.wa.gov.au" and it's his machine/account that
>has initiated the e-mail out to everyone on his contacts list.
>You received at least one (or if you're extra lucky like me, two)
>e-mails from him asking you to update your contact details in his
>address book.
>The links will go back to the plaxo web page because part of the
>service is to keep a copy of his address book on their servers. (part
>of what I don't like about plaxo)

Thanx Senectus, that explains it well.  The next step, I believe, is for
PLUG to reprimand this DJ Jackson and ensure it doesn't happen again.
Harvesting the PLUG mailing list should be a serious no-no!

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal