[plug] phishing scam

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Wed Mar 8 18:02:02 WST 2006

(Sending off-list copy because your Reply-To requests it.)

Wednesday, 8 March 2006 13:12, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> Its actually one of the things I get occasionally thru work, esp
> sales drones updating their contacts as people move around.  I am
> surprised at the reaction here tho, which seems to indicate a limited
> view on the uses of email - real business users use it for more than
> just mailing lists, personnel communications and spam!

The thing is: the "Updating my address book" post to the list *is* spam.

It's
 - unsolicited
 - bulk
 - e-mail!

It falls in the same category as misconfigured spam and virus filters,
challenge-response systems, and misdirected autoresponders in general.

> If you get one, you dont have to reply ...

Sorry, but that's about as meaningful as stating you don't have to buy
counterfeit drugs with numbers in their names when you get a UCE. It's
still abusing the system with the presumption that one's own business
is more important than anyone else's.

And let's not even go into the details of supposed government employees
sharing personal information of presumably non-consenting individuals
with a foreign, private corporation. Would you like fries with your
Privacy Act?

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/