[plug] TV Ripping

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 13 11:10:22 WST 2006

Simon Newton wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 10:16 +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
>

>>Timothy White wrote:
>>

>>>p.s. I am looking at the Dual Dvico card, just cause it looks nice... ;-)
>>>

>>This one?
>>http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/DualDigital.aspx
>>
>>It looks like you need to run a USB cable from the back of the PCI card,
>>to a USB 2.0 port.
>>

>That's the one I use. There is also an internal USB connection so you
>don't have to run cables outside the machine.

What goes over the USB connection?  Why don't they just move it across
the PCI bus?

On another note, how much CPU do these babies use when recording two
channels?  I've been looking around for linux-supported DVB cards with
in-built MPEG encoders, which are obviously more expensive but don't hit
the CPU as much.  This is important for me because my media-storing PC
is relatively old and I don't want a brand new PC just to record
television.  Most DVB cards seem to recommend fairly grunty CPUs to
record video - if all you are doing is saving the MPEG stream off the
card why are so many processor cycles required?  (I know re-encoding to
a more compact  codec is going to be processor heavy, does it do
something like this whilst recording?)

Regards,
Steve