[plug] Recommendations for encrypted filesystems or directories?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Mar 13 14:29:10 WST 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 01:40:03PM +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I'm looking at using encfs to encrypt some private files, probably only 100Mb
> or so. I like the simplicity of encfs and I think it is secure enough for my
> requirements.
>
> Has anybody used encfs, and if so what do you think about it?
>
> Any other comments and/or encryption solutions welcome.

I've used cfs a few times for things like this.  From memory:

  $ cmkdir foo
  <enter passphrase>
  $ cattach foo bar
  <passphrase>
  $ ls -l /crypt/bar
  $ cdetatch bar

No special privileges needed to use it.  It uses nfs tricks to make
your encrypted directory (foo) appear unencrypted in /crypt/bar.
While it's mounted, only the owning user can see that directory.  If
foo is not attached, you can backup the encrypted directory as is, and
restore it and remount it somewhere else.

It's in debian as cfs (of course).

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
A person who has nothing looks at all there is and wants something.
A person who has something looks at all there is and wants all the rest.