[plug] Having trouble mounting external usb drive

Open Source.Lives open.source.lives at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 20:34:08 WST 2006

Hi there,

Currently i am trying to mount my external usb drive, i am using debian
sarge with a 2.4 kernal and the following dmesg tells me that is detected,
but when i try to mount it it tells me that the volume is probably in a
format that cannot be mounted in the GUI.

part of dmesg

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
i810_rng: RNG not detected
  Vendor: IC35L040  Model: AVVN07-0          Rev: VA2O
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
USB Mass Storage support registered.
i810_rng: RNG not detected
hw_random: RNG not detected
hw_random: RNG not detected
hw_random: RNG not detected
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x02 (Driver version 1.16)
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
 /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
FAT: bogus logical sector size 64543
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:00.
FAT: bogus logical sector size 64543
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:00.

On console I used...

sg_scan -i

/dev/sg0: scsi1 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em]
    IC35L040  AVVN07-0          VA2O [rmb=0 cmdq=0 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

and

sg_map

/dev/sg0  /dev/sda

and for fstab

/dev/sda        /media/usb_drive        vfat
rw,user,noauto                  0       0

while on the console.

mount -t vfat /dev/sda /media/usb_drive

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

Can someone shed some light into this.

Thanks.