[plug] Having trouble mounting external usb drive

Open Source.Lives open.source.lives at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 23:53:18 WST 2006

Yes, i know what you mean by that....below is the output.

fdisk /dev/sda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 5005.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p m

Disk /dev/sda: 41.1 GB, 41174138880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5005 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1        5005    40202631    7  HPFS/NTFS

Command (m for help):

I mounted it as....

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda /media/usb_drive

when i should be mounting as

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/usb_drive

Many thank yous to all who help out on this. Everything is now fine and i
can read it :)